hea fellowship application example

Through my online networks I am able to keep up with my peers and stay up-to-date with the latest news and issues to do with my role, however sometimes its great to have more in depth conversations where detailed experiences can be shared. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Essentially, its mission is to improve learning outcomes by raising the quality and status of teaching in higher education. As this was developed over this term, I am now in a position to more clearly articulate and explore teaching options with academic staff I work with, as well as provide examples of how these sessions function based on the 32 times I have now taught variations on this workshop (conversations which have started to happen more clearly). Abingdon: Routledge, pp. (1978)Mind in society: the development of higher psychological processes. The point at which I see the students in their learning journey is before any summative or formativeassessment, and usually the academics have no initial assessment of their referencing skills or knowledge. The Fellowship categories available through the Education Excellence Program pathway are Associate Fellow, Fellow and Senior Fellow. If you get lucky and have Tony as the author of your text, no trouble will threaten your success! It was promoted by the Higher Education Academy (HEA, now Advance HE) as a way of recognising individual university teachers' contribution to learning and teaching.The framework allows eligible staff engaged in teaching and learning to apply for four categories of . Most of my knowledge and experience comes from CPD and personal development activities that I have undertook so that I am able to confidently design learning activities that align to my objectives and outcomes. This does not, however, change the fact of referencing styles as exclusionary and these access methods are not full disability justice (Kumbier, A. and Starkey, 2016) [V4]. It took longer than I anticipated and came back with comments like reference HEA criteria more consistently in your application, which were easy to address. Use Concrete Examples in Diversity Statements. In the case studies that followed the contextual statement, it was made clear how you engage in all of the areas of activity. Tell your story with examples that the reader may be able to relate to. As HEA doesnt allow the sharing of examples of successful applications electronically, Im happy to meet with anybody whos interested. Hello Olga By understanding how screenreader users experience education through technology (Goodley, D. et al., 2020), I have redesigned guidance so that auditory ways of knowing and learning referencing become possible something which, from my research, is a new approach in academic libraries [A4, A5, K2, V1, V2, V3, V4]. The workshops took place in an IT suite so learners could set up an account (if they wanted to) and explore the many features and functionalities that the system supports. In this video, Gillian will introduce the Principal Fellow of HEA, also referred to as Descriptor 4. Another series of successful workshops are the Half Hour Huddles, part of Online Pedagogies strand of Technology Enhanced Learning Community of Practice. Students fedback enjoyed the breakout rooms and joint experience in Word in this module, but some experienced their submissions being accidently deleted which introduced assessment anxiety to the process, and I decided that in future, engagement marks would need more consideration when using open tools [K4, K5, K6]. The first is the theory of information landscapes (Lloyd, 2010) which aims to theorise and understand the ways in which people move contextually in, amongst and between socially constructed information in their lives, which itself relies heavily on social constructivism (Vygotsky, 1978). Having students share their analyses in class, I was able to recognise that the ILO had been achieved (K5). Certified Professional in Accessibility Core Competencies IAAP, candidate 2021. Published On: 04/02/2022 Gillberg, C. (2020) The significance of crashing past gatekeepers of knowledge: Towards full participation of disabled scholars in ableist academic structures, in Brown, N. and Leigh, J. You should complete this section against the relevant descriptor statements (D1-D3) in the UKPSF, making sure that you provide evidence against the relevant Dimensions of the Framework. Support for writing your application. Copyright Information & Technologies in Education (CITE) Forum for Higher Education (HE). Vygotsky, L.S. ____________________________________________________________. It would be nice to showcase some of the teaching sessions and key ideas within them to help new or novice lecturers build interactivity and inclusivity into their sessions. I was so inspired that I felt I had to share my new knowledge with the SSU staff and therefore came up with 7 Edutech Wonders series of seminars. UVU is the first American institution to be accredited by the HEA to offer fellowship recognition to faculty, administrators, and staff supporting learning. Just drop me a line any timeu and we can meet up for a HEA chat. Give detail about individual contributions when working on joint projects. Available at:https://www.policyconnect.org.uk/research/arriving-thriving-learning-disabled-students-ensure-access-all(Accessed: 21 December 2020). 1. The research reported here was supported by the UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), EPSRC-LWEC Challenge Fellowship EP/N02950X/1. Oxford: Chandos. Guides on using Mahara, social media and online pedagogy have all been created using myCourse (covered in more detail underA4: Developing effective learning environments and approaches to student support and guidance). Quality Evaluation Learning and Teaching Unit PhD co-supervisor "Authentic Leadership: The Development and Measurement of a Contemporary Leadership Theory in an Australian Context". Through a disability lens, and my experiences of working with disabled students, I consider referencing stylistics as an ableist practice for particular disabilities (dyslexia, blindness etc), and by extension I see how library referencing support (whilst adhering to the Accessibility regulations and WCAG standards) is not actually pedagogically accessible [A2]. Evidencing A4: Develop effective learning environments and approaches to student support and guidance. Peach, T. and McCluskey-Dean, C. (2019)Diversity in information resources: working towards inclusion. The tasks set will help the students with building up a portfolio for their assessment (an example portfolio will be made available to them from the start to show them what theyre aiming for, (seeA3: Assessing and giving feedback to learners). In addition to my support, its my role to ensure that the SSU rules and regs with regards to assessments are met and that the technology does support the assessment. and Cigas, J. New Technologies and Disabled People,Canadian Journal of Disability Studies, 9(5), pp. Once I finished my draft, I sent it for internal review. So armed with the HEA framework, I set off writing my This evolution has occurred as my confidence has increased and the demand for my time in the number of workshops delivered increases, leading to the need for developing workshops which form a universal base that can be adapted easily and quickly to suit the subject area, the subjects ways of learning, the level of study, and the physical learning environment [A1, A2, A4, K2, K4, V4], in an effort to make efficient use of my time and begin to teach smarter (Race and Pickford, 2007, p.1). It was during this course that I was able to build up enough confidence to successfully apply for a promotion to become a Learning Technologist. All the experience and evidence included in your application must relate to teaching and/or support for learning practice related to higher education provision such as: + level 4 or above within the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ) in My HEA Fellowship Portfolio by Sam Taylor Details For info. For example, one ILO from a lecture I gave on a qualitative research methods module was: analyse the way inwhich language constructs particular versions of reality (K1). Brodie, L. (2013) Problem-based learning. University teaching in focus: a learning-centred approach. He will go through each instruction, note, and comment and ensure that all the criteria are followed. _____________________________________________________________. To some technology is seen as a necessary evil and I can hopefully help them to see the benefits rather than the inconvenience. Working with a disabled staff member who uses a screenreader, I have been re-developing referencing guidance through aspects of Universal Design, but critically applied so it re-centers disabled people in its focus without deficit thinking (Baglieri, 2020; Connor, 2020; Douglas and Santinele Martino, 2020). (1978)Mind in society: the development of higher psychological processes. (LogOut/ Either way, I will write and build the activities into their myCourse pages (see evidencebelow). In one-to-one tutorial settings, I aim to approach my teaching and support around the students own personal epistemology (Billett, 2009) as evolving out of constructivism again being shaped through its relationship with information literacy (Swanson, 2006) V1, V3]. Having previously taught in Early Years, Primary, Secondary and Further Education, as well as community theatre education and private music tuition, I have now been teaching in Higher Education at York St John since 2017. 4274. In my work with first year English Language students, students were grouped by their weekly working groups and received engagement marks for their participation and engagement with the learning tasks, receiving marks for submitting 2 finished references to the group document. One Principal Lecturer emailed the following to her course team: This afternoon I went to the first of the 'half hour huddles' run by LTU (Sam, Andrew and Christina). Supporters must complete the proforma relevant to the category of Fellowship sought by the applicant. DInfSc thesis. Fellowship (FHEA) Application Template Personal details Name, role, department, teaching qualifications/awards Personal statement/introduction (200-500 words) Short reflective statement that includes: a concise biography; the context in which you currently work; the reasons for your application. Your contextual statement gave a good sense of your learning and teaching philosophy, highlighting your commitment to inclusive, student-centered learning. I hold a PGCert in Teaching in Post-Compulsory Education & Training (Greenwich University) and a PGCert in Blended Learning (SSU). I have tried my best to showcase the following: Learning Technologist, Cranfield UniversityLearning Services, Building 70, Room 7, Defence Academy for the United Kingdom. I also knew that by creating how to videos and support materials for the distance learners on the MSc Shipping Operations unit that they could do their own induction themselves I would only be needed if anything technical was going wrong. I have created many online tutorials and guides to advise staff and students on using technology to support teaching and/or learning. London: UCL Press, pp. This application was prepared over the course of 2019-2021. New Technologies and Disabled People, https://cjds.uwaterloo.ca/index.php/cjds/article/view/707, Dyslexia: Shackles far beyond the written word, https://apis.officeforstudents.org.uk/accessplansdownloads/2024/YorkStJohnUniversity_APP_2020-21_V1_10007713.pdf, Actively inclusive and rejects bigotry, striving for equity (Peach and McCluskey-Dean 2019) [V1, V4]. Throughout all the training I give Ill always request that my learners are able to demonstrate back to me that they understand what Ive covered. This activity more accurately reflects the natural way in which they will need to approach referencing in future a process of decision making using the information to hand as well as your past experiences and knowledge [K2, K3, V1]. HEA Fellowship - Swansea Application Route Example Reference Features Headed paper please as appropriate Dated Signature, name and role Note: this is taken from a reference supported for a successful applicant. Descriptors, outcome (Accept / Borderline / Refer), and any special comments: 2.I Successful engagement across all five Areas of ActivityAccept, 2.II Appropriate knowledge and understanding across all aspects of Core KnowledgeAccept, 2.III A commitment to all the Professional ValuesAccept. To align this ILO with my teaching method, I employed a practical in-class activity where students analysed how racist news media language constructed riots differently, depending on whether they were undertaken by white or black US citizens (K2, K3). Tom, your written claim for Fellowship (D2) was very enjoyable and engaging to read. Please choose which you would like to copy: Updated on 25 July 2018, 10:53 AM; 35290 page visits from 29 September 2015 to 4 March 2023, core knowledge needed to carry out those activities at the appropriate level, professional values that I adhered to whilst performing these activities, A2: Teaching and/or supporting student learning, A3: Assessing and giving feedback to learners, A4: Developing effective learning environments & approaches to support & guidance, A5: Engage in CPD in subjects/disciplines and their pedagogy, background as a dancer and dance teacher/choreographer, Building up your online professional profile, my own personal profile and online network, http://mycourse.solent.ac.uk/socialmedia-help, Using Technology to Support your Graduate Associate Position, https://www.coursera.org/course/virtualinstruction, https://portal.solent.ac.uk/it-and-media/learning-technologies/staff-profiles/steve-hogg.aspx. The main sections of this site are an overview of what myPortfolio is, examples of pages that can be built (and tools that support them), assessment processes, lecturer guidance and finally other types of portfolios. JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research Poison Information at JSS Hospital, Mysore with the objective to improve the health of the public by minimizing or preventing the illness and death due to poisoning. (2010)Information literacy landscapes: information literacy in education, workplace and everyday contexts. This application was prepared against the 2019 UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF)you will find this cross-referenced through markers for the Dimensions of Practice in square brackets (A1-A5, K1-K6, V1-V4). (2013) Short videos improve student learning in online education, Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, 28(5), pp. If you're interested in this professional recognition programme, please visit their webpages and look through the Professional Standards Framework (PSF). Through engaging in a practical process of research, reflection and development, culminating in the production of a reflective teaching portfolio, I was able to demonstrate my commitment to teaching, learning and the student experience. 81112. During the workshop we asked the more experienced users to buddy up with those who were new to Twitter. 2 case studies (1500 words each) that evidence 2 particular examples of your leadership in relation to teaching and learning, and that demonstrate your . I briefly touched on this during A2 where I gave examples of how I use online technologies to support student learning. Required fields are marked *. It IS helpful because it liberates me from a nagging doubt Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy. The latter has featured as part of wider doctoral research into information literacy at York St John University (Dean, 2019) [A5] which has resituated my own understandings of my teaching as part of the wider teaching community, helping me to navigate how to talk about information literacy with academics in more nuanced ways [V3]. In the seminar I gave all students a copy of the revision guide. The two previous years have involved students (mostly SSU lecturers) compiling a myPortfolio page to display evidence to support a 3000 word reflective report, however students took more time and effort uploading evidence and notes taken in class rather than focus on the main piece of work itself. 2019 UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF), https://infolit.org.uk/definitions-models/(Accessed. in a narrative. Dean, C.J. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications. Focusing a Critical Lens on Universal Design for Learning, https://cjds.uwaterloo.ca/index.php/cjds/article/view/690, Arriving At Thriving: Learning from disabled students to ensure access for all | Policy Connect, https://www.policyconnect.org.uk/research/arriving-thriving-learning-disabled-students-ensure-access-all(Accessed, Self-Advocacy as Precariousness in University Education, https://cjds.uwaterloo.ca/index.php/cjds/article/view/703, Connor, D. J. Available at:https://cjds.uwaterloo.ca/index.php/cjds/article/view/688(Accessed: 21 December 2020). Sam plans and delivers sessions to both staff and students in both one to one and one to many situations. Faculty of Medicine, Health and Human Sciences, HEA Fellowship Program @ MQ now open for 2019 applications. They are then invited to share their answers with those sat next to them, giving them the opportunity to fine-tune their responses with their neighbours feedback. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Brainstorming this table was the battle half won. When I was preparing to submit for Fellowship (FHEA), I struggled to find enough examples of written applications which werent from an academic lens, particularly in a librarian context where our relationship to certain aspects of the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF)such as assessmentis somewhat different. One aspect of my role that I really enjoy is working with academics to develop their unit assessment briefs. To achieve this, I practice, reflect upon and refine my approaches to pedagogy in ways which place students at the centre with a keen understanding of how they arrive at my classroom in terms of their knowledge, skills and desires. Abingdon: Routledge, pp. 145163. 192199. I have 2 young kids and a dog, and I love meeting other Mq people, so give me a shout if you'd like to talk 'learning and teaching' or would like to brainstorm together. A sample from Olga's HEA Fellowship application The next step was to decide on the overall style of my application. The success of each session of learning entirely depends on how motivated the learners are and their reasons for learning. With over 65 international members and over 127,000 HEA Fellows across the world, the HEA Fellowship . The Higher Education Academy (HEA) is an international, non-profit organization that promotes teaching excellence in higher education. doi: 10.1177/1440783313504059. I have a broad knowledge of online platforms, systems and tools that can be used to engage learners, as well as experience ofdesigning, building and delivering support to staff in how to use them. From looking at the bookings I could see that we were to expect 50 participants ranging from administrators to lecturers, HR managers to support service staff. Olga (in the middle of the photo in the red top) gives an insiders view on what its like applying for HEA Fellowship here at Macquarie. 93112. I consider myself more as a facilitator of learning rather than a teacher as I rely on my participants to follow my advice and guidance, reflect on how it can affect their everyday practices, and finally share it with their peers. Each student is to be given a worksheet (below) where they can work through a series of about me questions that could hopefully form the start of their profile on LinkedIn, a professional networking site . All fellowship. If you are submitting an application before 31 December 2023, you can still use the 2011 version of the PSF. Other aspects of the academic role such as research, involvement in academic societies, administrations etc., may be relevant to the Fellowship application, but only in as much as they relate to learning and teaching in higher education. Available at:https://cjds.uwaterloo.ca/index.php/cjds/article/view/707. The objective was to give the lecturers and staff an opportunity to experience of what it was like to study as a student using the Flipped Model of course delivery, giving them an idea of how they can use myCourse themselves to facilitate this method of teaching. I know that I learn better by reading instructions and doing the activity as I go, however Im also aware that some people prefer to watch a video before giving the activity a try. I'm a senior lecturer in Psychology at Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge. For instance, if screen-readers do not read out punctuation, then it is failing its core purpose [A4, K2, K4]. For some time, I couldnt decide whether I liked the framework or found it too general in important (to me) areas. The collaborative reference lists produced as a result of the problem-based learning in Case Study 1 also provided a great opportunity to explore ways to get the students to peer-review and assess the list against the criteria set out in the referencing guidance used [A3, K2]. CEED's Head of Educational Development, Dr Heather McKiggan-Fee, has put together a self-enrol Moodle course on Applying for HEA Fellowship which will take you step-by-step through the process of deciding which category of Fellowship you should apply for, and how to write an effective application. Goodley, D.et al. (2020) I dont like to be told that I view a student with a deficit mindset: Why it Matters that Disability Studies in Education Continues to Grow,Canadian Journal of Disability Studies, 9(5), pp. , Dr Ismail O. Zembat and his international colleagues published an edited book entitled, "Quantitative Reasoning in . Available at:https://blog.yorksj.ac.uk/lgbt/2019/10/11/diversity-in-information-resources-working-towards-inclusion-2/. Moving to teaching remotely in 2020, I worked with my team to emulate a team-based community of practice (Wenger, 2008; McCluskey-Dean, 2019) as a new area, team based idea generation and sharing became particularly important for creating space to co-evaluate our teaching practice and its effectiveness as a team [K5], comparing outcomes and critiquing each others teaching decisions [K6], particularly where these have disciplinary implications or explanations [K3]. assessors/trainers who talked us through HEA framework. doi: 10.1353/lib.2016.0004. Requirements for Fellowship Level What does your application need to demonstrate? My research and teaching focus on gender, sex, sexuality, embodiment, dance, sport, media and qualitative methods. Overall, we were confident that you meet the benchmark standard for Descriptor 2 and wish you much success in your future teaching career. Locate your evidence PFHEA begins with the selection of evidence that will underpin the entire application (this is called the Record of Educational Impact or REI). This, then, was an explicit step in encouraging and facilitating student self-directed reading and revision (K3, K4, V1, V2). Robert Gordon University. In 2012 I was part of a team that contributed to theJISC ePortfolio Implementation Project, outcomes of which included a video case study from SSU and an ePortfolio Implementation Tool Kit (my key achievements and outputs are listed in A5). . One way that they do this is through Fellowship, which "provides individuals with recognition of their practice, impact and leadership of teaching and learning.". I also hope that the number of last minute support requests from the students will be reduced as everything has been covered and demonstrated in the videos. Peach, T. (2019)A contextual exploration of attitudes and approaches to art pedagogy, information literacy and employability at a Higher Education Institution: identifying opportunities for a librarian through an interview with faculty. I have also successfully completed the PGCert in Blended Learning where I further developed my teaching knowledge by developing activities that could be delivered online to supplement face-to-face classroom situations. Application for Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy: Complete Reflective Commentary LJ 2 Lindsay Jordan Reflective Commentary My application for Senior Fellowship is based on many years' experience with university-wide teaching and learning advisory responsibilities. Most HEA events, like workshops, seminars and reading groups, take place in the UK. (2016) Access Is Not Problem Solving: Disability Justice and Libraries,Library Trends, 64(3), pp. I teach across all programmes in an area best summarised as information literacy most recently updated to be defined as The ability to think critically and make balanced judgements about any information we find and use. Give detail about the specific context; sometimes there is a need to make the institutional and discipline context more explicit. I regularly attend conferences and webinars to do with educational technologies and I am often invited to present my knowledge on Mahara, Moodle and Social Media usage in education at both regional and national events. In it, she talked about how social media and online networks could help improve employability and job searching, and demonstrated how her students used to the web to get ahead of the pack. In the spirit of disclosure I'll tell you that not long after the deadline for applications had passed . 210219. : Harvard University Press. My approach to teaching and training is based on the Active Learning Theory, one which I am very familiar with from mybackground as a dancer and dance teacher/choreographer. Forsey, M., Low, M. and Glance, D. (2013) Flipping the sociology classroom: Towards a practice of online pedagogy, Journal of Sociology, 49(4), pp. This is aimed at lecturers, specifically those who attended a presentation I did with fellow Learning Technologist, Julian Prior, titled Rethinking Pedagogy with New Technologies at the recent Solent Exchange 2013. This portfolio contains all my evidence and reflections as required for my application to become a Fellow of the Higher education Academy. Comment * document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a71359b85c2bcc9cba8b7e946cc0f326" );document.getElementById("bf5832db54").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Pronounced teach. Macquarie Universitys learning and teaching community blog. focussed academics with a focus on senior and principal fellowships. In my teaching sessions I explicitly state the Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs), that is, what students should be able to do by the end of the session (K2). Focusing a Critical Lens on Universal Design for Learning,Canadian Journal of Disability Studies, 9(5), pp. The other areas are: Evidencing A2: Teach and/or support learning. Therefore, when discussing assessments in this context Ill be describing the process in which my learners (staff or students) can prove thatthey'vemet my learning outcomes and objectives. Written essays and reports, although still very important,aren'talways themost appropriate method for testing and challenging students. Liersch, U. This application was prepared over the course of 2019-2021. I used the structure and technology of Case Study 1 (such as collaborative Word Documents) but reimagined for online learning, which consisted of guided talking head videos and a presentation, which gives space for more self-paced and self-referential learning than in-person teaching (Forsey et al., 2013; Hsin and Cigas, 2013; Li, 2020) [K1, K3, V3]. At the end of most of my presentations I will often tell SSU staff to pop in to see me and bring their mugs so I can fill them with tea.