how to explain the trinity to a new believer

2:17). And during his earthly ministry, Christ subjected himself to the Fathers will. The Trinity isn't some complicated distraction from the simple gospelit's actually part of the gospel. It is fundamental to our worldview. Perfect for the Bible newbie or the long-time Bible reader. While theconceptof the Trinity is evident in the New Testament (Matt. *catholic, meaning universal here, and not a reference to the big C Catholic. We are referring to two different features of God: (1) his singular essenceor natureand (2) three Persons. And the voice of the Father declared, This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased (Matt. Learn to develop your skills, desire and ability to join others on their spiritual journeys and take them closer to Jesus. Rather than let that frustrate you, let it encourage you. Heres the problem (and why we shouldntstartwith these analogies):If these analogies are the only way someone thinks of the Trinity, it will lead to one of two errors. In this case, "immanent" means "the action remaining within an agent.". The Holy Spirit is God. Why? 4 Visual Ways To Explain The Trinity To A Child. This is one of the books of the Torah. He is one Being in three Persons (centers of consciousness), not merely three roles. For example: The Nicene Creed is recited during every service of Holy Communion . Reaching students and faculty in middle and high school. 55:8-9). 6:2122), Resuscitation of the dead (1 Kings 17:1724; 2 Kings 4:1837), The resurrection of Jesus (Acts 4:10; Acts 10:40), Sustains the universe (Col. 1:17; Heb. I recently had some of my kids friends ask meWhat is the Trinity? Now youre gonna tell me theyre all the same but also different? The Holy Trinity is 'the Center of Everything.'. The doctrine or concept of the Trinity is central to most Christian denominations and faith groups, although not all. Essence and person are not the same thing. . The verb for created isbara. Check out my tips for teaching your kids about bedtime prayer. Or stated simply, the triangles what-ness.. The Trinity is a concept that is impossible for any human being to fully understand, let alone explain. The word "scripture " graphe These three persons are of the same substance, equal in power and glory. 2:2729). How to EXPLAIN The Trinity to a New Believer - Introduction to the Godhead In this video I will introduce the godhead or the trinity in one of the easiest te. 45:5-6, New Testament: Mark 12:29; John 5:44; Eph. I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earthand in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spiritand born of the virgin Mary.He suffered under Pontius Pilate,was crucified, died, and was buried.He descended to the dead.On the third day he rose again.He ascended into heaven,and is seated at the right hand of the Father.He will come again to judge the living and the dead.I believe in the Holy Spirit,the holy catholic* Church,the communion of the saints,the forgiveness of sins,the resurrection of the body,and the life everlasting. Here is an indication of the divinity of the Word. 3:17), Omnipresence (Ps. At the risk of sounding too physical, essence can be understood as the stuff that you consist of.. After understanding the difference between essence and personhood, most objections evaporate! also 1:18). From the 1950s to the 2000s, people wanted to see if they could make computers exhibit intelligence indistinguishable from humans. Gods essence is His being. 1. using the shamrock or the three states of H 2 O to explain the . Fill this out to make sure you don't miss a thing! Fun fact: The 325 Nicene Creed does not state Trinity. But analogies cannot entirely explain the mystery of God. This is girl drama, and it can be extremely harmful to girls both mentally and emotionally. As I said earlier, it means the same thing as being. The Hebrew word for God isElohim. 25:3146; 2 Cor. That is because it is the only religion that believes in the Trinity. Often it is objected that If Jesus is God, then he must have prayed to himself while he was on earth. But the answer to this objection lies in simply applying what we have already seen. 1:318; 1 Pet. The relationship between essence and Person, then, is as follows. God is infinite. Yoto has lots of great stuff for, Read More 27 of the Best Yoto Cards for Kids (sorted by age group)Continue, If youre a Sunday School teacher or a mom hoping to instill a love of Bible learning in your children, Ive got some goodies for you! After all, so much happens in the week leading up to the resurrection of Christ. Your Identity in Christ: How God Sees You. 32:39), Has personal traits, such as the ability to communicate (John 14:31), He has intellect (John 2:25), emotions (John 11:35), and a will (John 6:38), Has intellect (John 14:26; 1 Cor. The trouble with this one is that its a bit less visual. Amongst other books, I have read 'The Forgotten Trinity" by James White, but remain unconvinced that acceptance of or belief in the confusing doctrine of the trinity is essential for Salvation. 32:17, 27; Matt. Other statements may at first seem contradictory but are really not. You may feel like you are drinking from a fire hydrant. 18:20; Matt. In other words, what are the objective attributes or properties that make up all rocks? God the Father. Have a great discussion about it! Thats what faith is being content with our own confusion while still knowing that God is bigger than we can comprehend. More posts you may like r/TrueChristian Elohimis the plural form of the word God. Ask teenagers hard questions about the Trinity that will make them think, and dont bother trying to come equipped with the perfect answer to everything. 2. AboutPressCopyrightContact. Wayne Grudem explains: But if each person is fully God and has all of Gods being, then we also should not think that the personal distinctions are any kind of additional attributes added on to the being of God . Another serious error people have made is to think that the Father became the Son, who then became the Holy Spirit. In describing the Trinity, the New Testament clearly distinguishes three Persons who are all simultaneously active. Deut. In Hinduism, the trinity (Trimrti, or The Three Forms) is of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. But I hope you have learned that the Trinity is not contradictory. Are these just three different ways of looking at God, or simply ways of referring to three different roles that God plays? . Each corner is distinct (i.e., different) from the others. Sometimes the Personhood of the Father and Son is appreciated, but the Personhood of the Holy Spirit is neglected. How can God be both one and three? If each Person of the Trinity is distinct and yet fully God, then should we conclude that there is more than one God? Sproul cites as an example Dickens famous line, It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Obviously this is a contradiction if Dickens means that it was the best of times in the same way that it was the worst of times. Baker Books, 1995, pp. 118:28, God referred to in the third person singular (he, his, him): Gen. 1:5, 10; Ex. Because ethnicity is part of the good of creation, we seek to honor and celebrate the ethnic identity of those with whom we serve as well as those we seek to reach. The personhood of each member of the Trinity means that each Person has a distinct center of consciousness. . 1. The Father is not one-third of the being of God, He is all of the being of God. What is the Trinity? The easiest way to explain the Trinity is with an object lesson, and thats true no matter how old someone might be. While Jesus and the Father are both God, they are different Persons. The Father and the Son are God almighty, omnipotent God. Thats why they wrote words like we find inJob 11:7-8, "Can you fathom the depths of God or discover the limits of the Almighty? Every time the wordElohim(plural) is used throughout the Old Testament referring to the one, true God, it is used with a singular conjugation of the verb. Three parts in one, yet all very much an egg. The Trinity confuses even adults, so when youre tasked (or inspired) to teach the Trinity to a child, teenager, or new believer, it can be overwhelming. But that doesnt mean the concept isnt clearly taught. 8:6), Jesus is called God (John 1:1-5; John 20:28; Rom. One illustration to beware of is the one which says, I am one person, but I am a student, son, and brother. We should not think of God as like a pie cut into three pieces, each piece representing a Person. A triangle must have three sides three corners (angles), and the sum of the three angles must be 180 degrees. The all powerful one who lives up in Heaven and either judges us mercilessly or loves us endlessly, depending on who you ask. What does essence mean? This is something far removed from our human experience, where every different human "person" is a different being as well. 1:8). When Jesus answered the question, What is the greatest commandment? he prefaced the answer by quoting the. In this blog post, we will discuss how schools and parents can help girls to, Read More Navigating Girl Drama: 20 Ways Schools and Parents Can Help Calm the StormContinue, Ill never forget the moment I watched in amazement as my newly-turned 4 year old sounded out her first few CVC words. One helpful Scripture explicitly refers to the essence and personhood of the Trinity. For example the: Finite humankind cannot wholly comprehend these mysteries. God the Father sent God the Holy Spirit to conceive Jesus (God the Son) in the virgin Marys womb (Matt. The late theologian Herman Bavinck has stated something very helpful at this point: The persons are modes of existence within the being; accordingly, the Persons differ among themselves as the one mode of existence differs from the other, and using a common illustration as the open palm differs from a closed fist.[4], Because each of these forms of existence are relational (and thus are Persons), they are each a distinct center of consciousness, with each center of consciousness regarding Himself as I and the others as You. Nonetheless, these three Persons all consist of the same stuff (that is, the same what, or essence). 119; Prov. 5:21), making it possible for us to have a relationship with God. Admittedly, the idea of three distinct persons/expressions that are each fully God is part of the mystery. Explaining the Holy Trinity of God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit will be needed at some point when presenting the God of the Bible to children, Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons and other non-Christians. Stated differently, God is one in essence and three in person. There is a clue that the Son is distinct from the Father, yet there is fellowship between them. So a closer look at the fact that God is one in essence but three in person has helped to show why the Trinity is not a contradiction. The Trinity expresses the belief that God is one being made up of three distinct persons who exist in co-equal essence and co-eternal communion as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit . 2:11), emotions (Eph. First, we have God. More simply stated, the essence of any entity is what it is. Trinity may be a new term for you and can be confusing even for Christians to explain to others. Genesis 1:1 reads: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." If we look more closely at the word we translate "God," Elohim, we see it is plural. That way were providing a simple, common language and framework for everything else were going to say (or any analogies we use). Its three things, but all are complete on their own. Its a devotional book. But dont get confused. The Trinity is Christianity's most unique, defining, incomprehensible, and awesome mystery. The Bible is clear that all three Persons are each one hundred percent God. The first commandment says, You shall have no other gods before me (Ex. The origin of the doctrine of the Trinity is the Bible . . How can we pack more meaning and deeper, Read More Holy Week for Kids: How to Teach Beyond Easter SundayContinue, Not every child is born with tons of self esteem. But its not a mystery that can or should! The Trinity. While we cannot fully understand everything about the Trinity (or anything else), it is possible to answer questions like these and come to a solid grasp of what it means for God to be three in one. The New Testament lists all three Persons of the Trinity simultaneously, 6. Our fellowship with God should be enhanced by consciously knowing that we are relating to a tri-personal God! The seeds are like the Holy Spirit, because He helps us grow. ETS members all confess the Father, the Son, and the Spirit to be "one in essence, equal in power and glory.". 2:8-9), we can become Gods children. Is the Trinity a contradiction? As you might expect, some people consider these mysteries as contradictions. But in response we can point out both agreement and clarification. The doctrine is critical, even if not easily comprehended. Best Age To Teach The Trinity To A Child. Therefore, there is one God with one divine nature and three divine Persons. For instance, the Trinity does not mean that: Instead, we need to clearly distinguish two categories (Persons and essence). The Trinity does not divide God into three parts. Now lets go a little deeper and consider the triangles three corners (angles). The all powerful one who lives up in Heaven and either judges us mercilessly or loves us endlessly, depending on who you ask. Answer: Jesus came to lead us into relationship with the Father and that required the sacrifice of his own life because of our rebellion.