larry miller jordan brand net worth

His story is an example of the resilience, perseverance and strength of the human spirit. He served four and a half years in prison for that crime and five more years for a series of armed robberies before rehabilitating his life and building a prosperous, high-profile career as a sports and marketing executive. Such a scholarship foundation would provide opportunities for family members and demonstrate that Mr. White did not die in vain, said Mrs. Arline, his daughter, adding that Mr. Millers words must be followed by actions. "I think education is a key, But I think the real key is also changing the perception of yourself," Miller said. Mr. Miller said that he had always planned on reaching out to the White family and had even hired a private investigator to search for them. And I always felt like I was cheating those people who were listening, because they werent getting the full benefit of what this story could be. Since Miller returned to Jordan Brand in 2012, the company has expanded its roster of female athletes, launched the Jordan womens line and increased its presence in college and sports outside basketball. October 13, 2021, 4:14 PM. I was in a haze. The constant anxiety manifested in nightmares of being arrested or locked in a prison celljust that pressure that was building up from keeping this inside and being afraid that it would come out and ruin everything.. His story is an example of the resilience, perseverance and strength of the human spirit, Nike CEO John Donohoe told SI. Larry Miller was born in Valley Stream, New . That all changed in 2021 when he decided to reveal in a Sports Illustrated interview that as a teen in 1965 he shot and killed another teenager in Philadelphia: 18-year-old soon-to-be father of . Miller has held a variety of jobs with Campbell Soup Company, a manufacturer of food and snacks. As a 16-year-old in 1965, Miller shot an 18-year-old man. The man reached into his pocket and pulled out an envelope. He was appointed President of Jordan Brand in 1999, and he held the role through 2006. I feel the freedom now to be me., The best insights from the ultimate insiders, Aurelien Meunier PSG/PSG via Getty Images, 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, NBA commissioner on James Dolans use of facial recognition, Adam Silver reveals NBA disciplines refs for bad calls in wake of LeBron controversy, NBA has coddled every whim of disrespected Kyrie Irving, Enes Kanter shows that the NBA is in the tank for China, exclusive cover story with Sports Illustrated. The signed notes from Michael Jordan. Larry completed his GED while he was incarcerated. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, Daily Cover: Jordan Brand Chairman Larry Millers Secret That Hes Kept for 56 Years, Jump: My Secret Journey From the Streets to the Boardroom. Similarly, Portland Blazers home arena, the Rose Garden was certified LEED Gold Certification and stood as one of the founding members of Green Sports Alliance. What is Larry Jordan net worth and salary? Larry Miller went on to become vice president of . Portland has recorded three consecutive trips to the postseason while riding a streak of 159 consecutive sellouts dating back to December 21, 2007. Michael Blackson Ex Girlfriend: The Woman Behind the Comedian! Larry Miller estimated net worth $2 million with a handsome salary. While staying inside the prison, he saw education as a key to his release. But I couldnt tell it.. After joining Jantzen, Inc., where he held the positions of President, Executive Vice President, and Controller, Miller was able to flourish in his corporate competence. Earlier that month, a younger friendsomeone he considered an innocenthad been stabbed and killed during a fight with the 53rd and Pine gang. At 16, Miller was in a gang when he shot and killed Edward David White, who was 18 at the time. Larry Miller is reportedly a married man. . Career. However, it is assumed that he would have surely earned a net worth of over $1 million as he has been serving as President of the Jordan Brand for a long time. . Miller was arrested multiple times, for a variety of offenses, and spent most of his years from ages 13 to 30 in juvenile detention or prison. In 2006, he left to become president of the Trail Blazers. After his daughter Laila Lacy assisted him in writing the book Jump: My Secret Journey From the Streets to the Boardroom, we learned about his marital status. He said his daughter suggested that he write a book. Though, he has not shared any details regarding his wife and children. But it is a story Miller now feels must be told, and will be detailed in full in a forthcoming book, Jump: My Secret Journey From the Streets to the Boardroom, cowritten with his oldest daughter, Laila Lacy, set for release by William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins, in early 2022. In the end, Mr. Whites family said, they did not consider Mr. Miller an enemy or a friend, but a man who has been forgiven and who has to make peace with himself. "One of my gang members had gotten killed a little while before that, and we were just angry and out to get somebody and it was totally senseless. The memory is never far from Millers consciousness. With the secret out, Miller says he hopes to increase his work with incarcerated people and underserved youth. The leagues commissioner told SI he was stunned at first by Millers disclosure. Michael Jordan is not just one of the world's most iconic athletes, but also a global marketing powerhouse. Miller will be donating his book proceeds to the Philadelphia Juvenile Center and is working with the White family on a scholarship to honor White. Larry Miller pictured with his daughter, Laila. His age is 66 as of 2019. I didnt know about the nightmares. While incarcerated, he used educational programs to earn a high school diploma and a college degree which ultimately helped him land his first job despite his criminal past. He was 20 years old when he was released from prison, and soon after committing a number of other crimes, he was apprehended. And thats the thing that I really struggle with and thatsyou know, its the thing that I think about every day. "I could have just continued to live my life, but I felt like I've been so blessed in my life that if I didn't share this story, then I wasn't really showing my appreciation for the blessings that I have received over the years," said Miller. In a family photo from 1965, Edward White poses with his son, Hasan, and Hasans mother, Josaphine Hobbs. I was drinking every day.. With a net worth of over $2 Billion, Michael Jordan still earns $130 Million a year through sales of Jordan's shoes. I then went from stunned to amazed that Larry had managed his long and very successful professional career, operating at the highest levels in our industry, with this secret firmly intact, and was ultimately left with a feeling of sadness that Larry had carried this burden all these years without the support of his many friends and colleagues, he said. Fort Worth Star-Telegram 'He was so strong with God.' Everman football player paralyzed in state championship has died Miller, now 72, said he was 16 . There, he looked after the day-to-day operations of Jordan Brand, Converse, and Nike Basketball. Miller said that the murder took place while he was growing up in west Philadelphia. Yes, he says. Erwin Bach Net Worth: How Rich is Tina Turners Husband Actually? He took a brief hiatus from running Jordan to work as president of the Trail Blazers from 2007 to 2012 before returning to the brand he'd helped develop into a company worth more than $1 billion. Miller made headlines after coming forward about his involvement in a 1965 murder. As a teen, Jordan Brand chairman Larry Miller shot and killed a man. In 2007, Miller was hired as President of the Portland Trail Blazers, replacing interim president Tod Leiweke. Publish date: Oct 13, 2021. Nike makes and markets its iconic sneakers to increase the value of the Jordan brand, which brought sports apparel into the mainstream in . This article is about the former basketball team president. Over the span of his nearly three decadeslong career, Miller, once the president of the Portland Trail Blazers, is now the chairman of the wildly successful Jordan Brand, the namesake brand of basketball legend Michael Jordan, and a part of popular sport's brand Nike. But given his long tenure as President of the Jordan Brand, it is anticipated that he would have amassed a net worth of at least $1 million. As Miller describes it, his decision to pull the trigger was an act of retribution. "I still always felt like I wasn't being true to myself because I was holding and hiding a part of me that people didn't know about," he said. Larry Miller resigned on July 7, 2012 as President of the Portland Trail Blazers to return to his previous role as President of the Jordan Brand.[6]. Hiding the past came with another cost: robbing Miller of the chance to share his most valuable life experiences with at-risk youth. Miller who said he was a straight-up gangbanger by 16 claimed the slaying was retribution for a previous killing. Once it kind of set in, I was like, Oh, sh-t, what have I done? It took years for me to understand the real impact of what I had done.. After Whites family learned about the incident from a newspaper article, he made the decision to beg for forgiveness. Miller said he didnt know his victim, identified in news reports at the time as Edward White, whom he admitted fatally shooting on Sept. 30, 1965, with a .38-caliber gun in West Philadelphia. Management Miller said his activity with gangs came to a head on Sept. 30, 1965. We came to know about his marital status after his daughter named Laila Lacy helped him to write the book titled Jump: My Secret Journey From the Streets to the Boardroom. I then went from stunned to amazed that Larry had managed his long and very successful professional career, operating at the highest levels in our industry, with this secret firmly intact, and was ultimately left with a feeling of sadness that Larry had carried this burden all these years without the support of his many friends and colleagues, Silver told SI in a statement. He spent five years as the team president of the Portland Trail Blazers in the National Basketball Association (NBA). It said he had never had any run-ins with police. The leading entertainment news publicationLeedaily. Miller told his two younger children when they were in college, around 2003. Miller, former president and current chairman of Nike's Jordan brand, was convicted of shooting and killing 18-year-old Edward White. He joined the Trail Blazers in 2006 before returning as president of the Jordan Brand in 2012. Alli Webb Net Worth: How Rich is the Founder of Drybar Actually? . We were on a mission to kill ourselves, and its just fortunate we didnt. He was appointed President of Jordan Brand in 1999, and he held the role through 2006. Rajat Tokas (Actor) Biography, Age, Wife, Children, Family, Facts, Caste, Wiki & More, Martin Shkreli Net Worth 2022, Personal Life, Career Achievements. So all I can do is try to do what I can to help other people and try to maybe prevent this from happening to someone else.". Miller earned a bachelor's degree in accounting from Temple University in 1982, and an MBA from La Salle University in 1985. But if she were 30 years younger, she told him, I would have been across that table at you.. Likewise, the Blazers made a significant achievement by becoming a leader in sustainability among other professional sports franchises. Inside Gail Miller's decision to sell the Utah Jazz. He earned an accounting degree from Temple University at age 30, around the same time he regained his freedom. Have a look at some of the latest trending articles: Your email address will not be published. "You know, wishing I could go back to all those years and be on this corner and have a different outcome.". From 1999 to 2006, he served as the President of Jordan Brand. His real date of birth is still unknown but it is known that he is currently 72 years old. He had served 4 and half years in juvenile detention after pleading guilty to second-degree murder. I think it also made him an especially supportive and understanding friend when it came to dealing with others foibles and mistakes.. I tried to hide this and hope that people didnt find out about it.. July 13, 2022 July 13, 2022 by networthcare. [2] Under Miller's management, the Trail Blazers have positioned themselves to make a respectable run at an NBA title. It just more and more makes me feel sorry about what I did.. Miller says he never lied on an application or in an interview. I was nervous about it, I was anxious about it, he said. About Gail Miller. He eventually relented, sending in his Social Security number and birthdate and throwing his fate to the winds. This plush suite, tucked into a quiet corner of the Sebastian Coe building, on Nikes sprawling campus in Beaverton, Ore., is the primary sanctuary for the man who has piloted the Jordan Brand since 2012, who counts MJ as a close friend and David Stern as a mentor and who has nearly every major figure in basketball (along with Kanye West) on speed dial. He resumed his education while locked up and earned an accounting degree from Temple University about the same time he was released. But as a . EVENTS Some part of that fund will be used to help Miller spread what he says is his most vital message: that everyone deserves a second chance. Your Money, Your Life, LATEST LISTS Before publishing the book, Miller had never reached out to White's family nor mentioned him by name. Im like, What is wrong with me? Ex-WhatsApp Exec Pays $22.3M For New Beverly Hills Home, A New Requirement Decided by IRS for R&D Credit Refund Claims, The social security cost of living: Updated news, Real-Life K-Drama Is Streaming on Your Samsung, SEC Sets Clock for Delisting Chinese Companies Over US Audit Demand. President and Chief Executive Officer. After Miller's confession, Jordan encouraged Miller to contact David Whites family. Miller served as President, Executive Vice President and Controller for Jantzen, Inc. and was a Manager for Kraft Foods, Assistant Controller at Philadelphia Newspapers, Inc. and held various positions with Campbell Soup Company. Miller oversaw the operations of the Jordan Brand (including Nike Basketball and Converse). Some of the most creative, intelligent, smart people I know are people Ive met in jail, because theres all this talent and all this ability that I think is being wasted inside the jails.. He works with groups like the Vera Institute of Justice to throw a lifeline to inmates who seek opportunity. Miller got to excel in his corporate skill after joining Jantzen, Inc., where he served as President, Executive Vice President, and Controller. "I still have to pinch myself that I work with Michael Jordan," said Miller. "And I think at the end of the day, you have to realize and believe that you can do something different with your life.". Pay Rank By Title In MFG Nondurable industry. Zac Stacy Net Worth 2023: How Rich is the Football Player? Larry Miller net worth is not available at the moment and is under review. Because if not, if I do not forgive him, I cannot be forgiven," said White's sister, Barbara Mack. You could spend hours admiring it all, without a single hint of the dark chapter that preceded the journey. There, he cared for the everyday tasks of Jordan Brand, Converse, and Nike Basketball. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED is a registered trademark of ABG-SI LLC. He also hopes that by sharing his own story, he will help change the perception of formerly incarcerated people. I always felt like I was telling half the story, he says. Miller is opening up about his past now, more than 50 years later, with hopes of helping at-risk youth and incarcerated people. Nike, meanwhile, is also backing Miller, citing his influential role in the company. Ex-Portland Trail Blazers president and current Jordan Brand chairman Larry Miller is sharing his darkest secret with the world . I will call him on the carpet every single time, she said, to ensure that this legacy for my father comes to fruition., Mr. Miller said the details had not been worked out, but that I think we have agreed that we wanted to do something that allows his name to live on and something that also is a benefit and positive to other folks that come from our community.. But while writing the book has brought healing for Mr. Miller, it has reopened wounds for the White family. Nevertheless, he was eventually granted the chance to work as an Assistant Controller at Philadelphia Newspapers, Inc. Now, there is no one that I meet, ever, that I think is unredeemable. Miller also decided to come forward and share this part of his life with sports icon Michael Jordan (whose father was murdered), whom he worked with closely. When an invitation arrived to attend a dinner with the Clintons, during Bill Clintons presidency, Miller initially hedged, fearing the background check. Miller's victim was 18-year-old Edward David White, who had an 8-month-old son and a daughter on the way at the time. When he was later hired by Campbell Soup, he was relieved to see that the application only asked if he had been convicted of a crime in the last five years. Supa Cent Net Worth: How Rich is Raynell Steward Actually? (AFP via Getty Images) comments I was in a haze. Jordan Brand chairman Larry Miller shot and killed a teenager in 1965. Larry Miller was born in the United States of America. The Nike Jordan brand has revenues of $3 BIllion per year. About 13 years ago, Lacy started pushing her father for more details and to consider a full public disclosure, in the form of an autobiography. That in itself is a testament to the relevance and massive pull of Michael Jordan's name . With 159 straight sold-out games since December 21, 2007, the professional basketball team he oversaw went to the postseason three times in a row. Larry Miller Net Worth 2022, Business Career, Family and Bio. Is Miller nervous about this story, this book? What's his net worth? Millers Nike office is filled with mementos, including personal notes from Jordan and a picture with Ali. I started being more interested in impressing people in the street than I did my teachers and parents, he says. Larry Miller, chairman of the Jordan Brand, is ready to tell the world about his past. On July 7, 2012, Miller announced his resignation as the Portland Trail Blazers President and resumed his old position as President at Jordan Brand. Its freed me, he says. Larry Miller, Chairman of Jordan Brands, in west Philadelphia. "It feels a little strange, it feels like, almost kind of coming full circle," Miller said. I was taking all these high-profile jobs, Miller says. By many counts, Larry Miller is among today's most successful Black businessmen in America. The mementos lining Larry Millers office suggest a life of comfort and privilege, of celebrated achievements and celebrity friendships. Miller found David White, who was unarmed and had no police record, and shot him. His entire net worth is derived from his professional career, brand promotion, advertisements, and other sources. [8], Miller pleaded guilty to second degree murder and served four and a half years in a prison for young offenders. Larry Miller said he was drunk and seeking revenge with a gang when he shot Edward White. Nike Jordan Brand Chairman Larry Miller reveals the dark secret he hid even from Michael . We were all drunk, Miller says softly. In the year 1997, he was appointed as the General Manager and Vice President of Nike Basketball. But if she were 30 years . Why am I putting myself out there like that? . He is the chairman of Nike's Jordan Brand, supposedly the sneaker giant's most successful brand . In two recent meetings, the family of Edward David White, who, unarmed and without a police record, was shot at age 18 and left to die in the street, met in person for the first time with his killer, who was himself a teenager at the time and is now an executive at Nike. Edward White's family say they were blindsided by Larry Miller's decision to speak out five decades on from killing . He simply chose to keep the past in the past. Jeffrey McKinney is a long-time freelance business writer and reporter, contributing to Black Enterprise magazine for several years on a broad range of business and financial topics.