longest home run hit at tiger stadium

TAMPA, Fla. - The No. Any drive over 400 feet is noteworthy. Sign up to receive our daily Morning Lineup to stay in the know about the latest trending topics around Major League Baseball. The blast still stands over 40 years later as the longest homerun in MLB All-Star game history. No sooner than the last word had left his mouth, he did it again.. Tim Hagerty is the broadcaster for the Triple-A El Paso Chihuahuas, and is on Twitter at @MinorsTeamNames. Probably well over 600 feet in total. MSU has posted double-digit runs in two of the seven games (15 runs vs. Michigan on Feb. 17; 13 runs at USC Upstate on Feb. 24), and the Spartans have posted double-digit hits in five of the seven games, with a season-high 18 hits vs. Michigan, along with 15 hits vs. Fresno state on Feb. 19 and 15 hits at Grand Canyon on Feb. 20. Lets take a look at the longest home runs in the history of each MLB stadium. Ruths big fly that day escaped onto a bluff outside the prison, 620 feet from home plate. Not since Hank Greenberg in the 1940s, had Tiger fans seen a power hitter like Cecil Fielder. Giancarlo Stanton hit the longest home run ever made in Coors Field to date when he played against the Rockies in 2016. 1969 i attended my first game at Tiger Stadium the next day, Self correction. ET, 5:00 p.m. MT on Monday, July 12. By 1995, the sponsorship had changed, but the program had been expanded to include every big league ballpark. 457 Feet - Red Sox 1st Baseman Mo Vaughn hit a 457 foot bomb on July 7th, 1996. I thought I saw Tony Clark hit a monster on the roof, but Im so old my memory is shot. It has been confirmed that the ball struck against the third house beyond Waveland Avenue, which is situated about 530 feet from home plate. ESPN's Home Run. If not for the obstruction, the ball would have carried . Those are amazing stats, and yet they dont measure to Killebrews 522-foot blast. 5. On August 10, 2004, Cincinnati Reds left fielder Adam Dunn hit a 535-foot home run to center field off Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Jose Lima. I'm here to drive home runs. The home run was Reyes sixth of the season. Ruth later claimed this was the longest home run he ever hit, the News-Sentinel reported. We look at the farthest home runs hit in MLB history, with videos of some of the longest home runs ever hit. It is the longest home run ever hit in a major league game where it was possible to get the exact measurement. By his own account he hit the longest home run of his career on May 22, 1963 at Yankee Stadium. It is for that reason that we find their actions so thrilling, and will always want to identify them for special reward and distinction. Reid, an engineer, estimates the distance in the air as no less than 610 feet, theTampa Bay Times wrote. You've got to see him." That ball is measured at 634 feet by the Guinness Book of World Records, but few really believe it went that far on the fly. Included among the other great exaggerations in the history of tape measure home runs are Dave Nicholson's Comiskey Park rooftopper on May 6, 1964, and Dave Kingman's Wrigley Field blast on April 14, 1976. Dr. Paul E. Susman, a . Most of those blasts, too, were prodigious, so the Tigers took a chance and signed Fielder. They checked it over and off I went. And, how far did it go? The ball struck the facade on the right-field roof approximately 370 feet from home plate and 115 feet above field level. Ruths barnstorming team traveled to Fort Wayne shortly after the Yankees won the 1927 World Series. During Mantle's rookie season in 1951, he had struck several impressive drives, but it was not until he cleared the left-center-field bleachers at Griffith Stadium two years later that he was crowned as the new King of the Tape Measure. Almost predictably, it is not the winners of the formal contest who receive the greatest admiration. This was Bonds, baseballs most fearsome slugger, digging in for a rare Interleague at-bat in iconic Yankee Stadium -- the House that Ruth Built -- and rewarding us with a towering rocket to the right-field nosebleeds. Accounts from that gray afternoon put Hills rooftop homer at 490 feet; Hill told the Chicago Tribune to move that up to 700 feet. A Mickey Mantle homer was originally estimated to have gone 734 feet. Fewer than one in a million men are capable of powering a ball 450 feet against major league caliber pitching. They have always liked them, and always will. Adam Dunn, 535 Feet, Out of the Park The Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati isn't a classic hitter's field, statistically at least, but Adam Dunn sure tamed it. Until the Statcast radar era, we really never had. Thankfully, we gathered the information for you. How old is the oldest person on the planet? 5:30 pm Darryl Strawberry hitting the large clock at Busch Stadium in St. Louis on October 1, 1985. Mizzou opened its home slate with a 17-2 run-rule victory over . Order Tracking Its immortalized with a Florida Historical Markertitled Babes Longest Homer.. Willie Stargell blasted a home run estimated to be 535 feet long at Montreal's Olympic Stadium, the stadium's biggest blast in history. 3. I was a little concerned it would let look as good as I hoped, but when I put it on, I loved it. Killebrew was a big man, as were Mickey Mantle and Reggie Jackson and Dave Kingman, all known for their power. In virtually every other field of endeavor in which physical performance can be measured, there are no Ruthian equivalents. In case you're not familiar with it, Jackson hit what I believe is the longest home run of my lifetime, and I've been around a while. 5/5 Clemson Tigers split action on Saturday morning at the USF Tournament in Tampa, Florida. Later in the same game, Cecil Fielder hit a home run over the left field roof to show Canseco who was stronger. When you consider that many baseball stadiums have centerfield fences around 400 feet from home plate, such blasts would be truly spectacular. His tremendous blow to right-center field in Detroit on June 8, 1926, has often been reported as traveling over 600 feet. While those feats would shatter Meyer's mark, there was no technology or tool that could give an exact measure of those distances. Again, the vast talents of Herculean Mickey Mantle have been comprised by individuals who have unwittingly perpetrated a hoax. Cardinals switch-hitter Rip Collins hit 35 in 1934. Privacy Policy 452 Feet - Eric Davis (While playing for the Detroit Tigers) hit a 452 foot shot on Sept. 26th 1993. Returns & Exchanges Fifteen writers from New York, Chicago, and other places emphatically stated that Ruth's fifth-inning drive cleared the 52-foot-wide grandstand roof by a considerable margin. On June 29, 2018,, Seattle Mariners Mike Zunino hit a 470-foot home run to left field off Kansas City Royals pitcher Ian Kennedy. 3. The home run is memorialized with a red seat in the right-field bleachers. By the time Detroit's Tiger Stadium bade farewell 87 years, it had witnessed 11,111 home runs, six World Series, three memorable All-Star games, NFL Championship games and championship boxing. His most impressive, though, may have been . The massive slugger connected with a hanging breaking ball from Ivan Nova and crushed it, sending it nearly onto the concourse beyond center field. On July 7, 2021, Texas Rangers Joey Gallo hit a 462-foot home run off of Detroit Tigers pitcher Casey Mize. The homer had an exit velocity of 111.6 and was Healys tenth home run of the season. Enjoy the dingers. Sosas home run was hit off Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher David Williams. Thompson was my favorite player at the time, so it was an awesome moment, to be sure. . On June 2, 2017, Manny Machado hit a 465-foot home run off Boston Red Sox pitcher Rick Porcello. In order to fully understand and appreciate long-distance hitting, a frame of reference should be established. But where was Ruths longest homer? Long gone! He is also the author of"Root for the Home Team: Minor League Baseball's Most Off-the-Wall Team Names.". This one hit the second-deck facade in left-center. As a result, he's the only player in history to establish true tape measure standards in all directions. But, Mee noted, there was but a slight breeze blowing that day. Report and free match highlights from the Sky Bet Championship match between Hull City and West Brom at the MKM Stadium. Editors note: This story was originally published on June 29, 2006. The aforementioned fictional home run could have been reported at 550 feet in a prominent newspaper, and re-created at that length by historians for years thereafter, when in fact it traveled about 100 feet less. Batting for the Reds against the Cardinals, Wally Post boldly launched a baseball where none had gone before at the original Busch Stadium in St. Louis. Little could they have anticipated how great and immediate would be the return on their investment. Machados home run had an exit velocity of 114.3 mph. Before he retired after the 1973 season, he had performed even more extraordinary feats of long-distance hitting in the junior circuit. Excited to work with Vintage Detroit on future orders. It was heresy to suggest that Ruth's accomplishments could be surpassed, but for a few seasons it appeared that Foxx might do just that. Oliva said it was harder to hit one out at Metropolitan than at the Metrodome. On July 6, 1996 Carlos Delgado hit the ball OVER the right center light tower completely into orbit. Perhaps the longest of those not previously mentioned was Ralph Kiner, who bombarded all the National League left-field distance plateaus of his times. Storys 487-footer from 2018 reached the concourse down the left-field line; Piazza hit the concourse in the left-center power alley. The roof was 94 feet high and the left-field fence was 340 feet from home plate . This ball might have evaporated into the clouds if the Big O roof wasnt in its path. The center field home run was Confortos 13th homer of the season. Fielder nearly swung out of his shoes while fouling off an earlier pitch in the at-bat, prompting the television broadcaster to ponder if Fielder would have hit it out of the stadium had he connected. On April 4, 2001, Tampa Bay Rays third baseman Vinny Castilla hit a 478-foot home run to left field off of Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Joey Hamilton. Local Springsteen fans bemoan spiraling ticket prices to see the Boss, Boys section hockey: Mahtomedi breaks away late from Chisago Lakes to earn state tourney return, Wild say goodbye to Jordan Greenway to jump start busy day of trades, Three St. Paul teachers among 33 semifinalists for MN teacher of the year, State wrestling: Simley ties program-record mark with fifth straight Class 2A crown, St. Louis Park man killed cousin, local chef outside St. Paul funeral reception, charges say, As Adderall shortage continues, DEA plans to limit some telemedicine prescriptions, House where JonBenet Ramsey was found dead listed for sale for almost $7M, Columbia University permanently drops SAT, ACT admissions requirement, The Waterbed Doctor: California retailer lays claim to retro bed with nearly 40 years of service, sales, Felonious Florida podcast: Missing teenage girl leads to several cases of child sex trafficking, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. A truly Ruthian tale., Ossining, N.Y. Babe Ruth went to jail. Recently got a blank jersey stitched at Vintage Detroit and the finished product looks awesome! While unconfirmed by the Tigers, it might've been . But so did Killebrews, Mee said. These unidentified individuals based their calculations on the assumption that the ball traveled completely over the left-center-field roof. The most common cause for overstatement has been the basic misconception about the flight of a batted ball once it has reached its apex. I saw Frank Howard hit his homer over the left field wall in Tiger stadium. Jackson told the Associated Press postgame that he wasnt even trying to hit a home run. Imagine if he was! Future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux was pitching for the Chicago Cubs. by Richard Bak on January 4, 2012. Hitters have been going well beyond that for over a decade. Copyright 1999- On September 14, 1986, Kansas City Royals right fielder Bo Jackson hit a 475-foot home run to left-center off of Seattle Mariners pitcher Mike Moore. update=copyright.getFullYear(); They represent a fraction of those who have applied their ability to the act of hitting a baseball. Thome had over 600 home runs in his career. That day, Mee called the physics professor who had created the Twins home run chart and had him recalculate to take into consideration how far the ball would have traveled if unimpeded. There were no American League stadiums where Mantle played where he did not hit a home run of at least 450 feet to both the left and right sides of the field. Although I'm not one to argue with science and advanced metrics, Cabrera's home run still . Its estimated that the Babes blast traveled at least 575 feet in the air. Milwaukee Brewers third baseman Russell Branyan hit a 480-foot blast on July 27, 2004. DETROIT A Mickey Mantle buff claims a 1960 home run hit out of Tiger Stadium by the former New York Yankees star is the longest ever measured -- 643 feet, .0069 inches. Barry Bonds holds the all-time home run record in Major League Baseball Sadaharu Oh, pictured here in 2006, holds the officially verified all-time world home run record in professional baseball. MORE:Where was baseball's first night game? Its remarkable, and comforting, that, despite their conspicuous increase in muscle mass, todays sluggers dont really hit the ball any farther than their predecessors. The home run cleared the right-field pavilion, hitting a bus outside the stadium. Cecil Fielder of the Detroit Tigers is credited with powering a ball 502 feet in the air over the left-field bleachers at Milwaukee's County Stadium on September 14, 1991. Ruth played during the height of American's newspaper culture, when approximately 10 New York papers gave first hand accounts of each Yankee game. Lynn worked with me to swap out to something similar excellent customer service. COLUMBIA, Mo. The longest home run in Men's College World Series history at Charles Schwab Field Omaha unofficially belongs to Arkansas' Brady Slavens, who went deep 436 feet in 2022. Some fans in attendance swear the ball was still going up before it struck the roof, and a physicist from Montreals McGill University put his local bias aside to estimate that it would have traveled 525 feet, had it not been stopped. And then, wouldnt you know it, big Cecil did just that. 15 15. Thank you so much, I can't wait to wear my jersey to a Wings game! His trail of National League home runs was already legendary when he moved to the American League in 1965. On June 3, 2012, Texas Rangers right fielder Nelson Cruz hit a 484-foot home run to left-center field off Angels reliever Bobby Cassevah. The best effort on the part of either player was Canseco's famous blast into the fifth level at Toronto's Sky Dome during the 1989 American League playoffs, which was estimated at 484 feet. Ted Williams hit a 502-foot blast to the right-field bleachers on June 9, 1946. Ted Williams called it one of the hardest hit balls hed ever seen. Darryl Strawberry at Olympic Stadium (April 4, 1988)Give us the launch angle over everything else for this one, because Straw hit this so high that even he wasnt initially sure what happened. The home run had an exit velocity of 116 mph and was Zuninos 12 homer of the season. photo source: sabr.org In Hollywood, California, Dierker was born. That homeric deed was performed by the powerful Jimmie Foxx on June 16, 1936. But baseball has been around way longer than that, obviously. The sign's headlinereads The Longest Home Run in Competitive Baseball History.. Share your opinion on our baseball message boards where a topic on the longest hit ever has already begun. Jason Thompson. Several players have landed balls in top of it images, but never completely over it in the air. On Sept. 27, 2008, Adam Dunn hit the longest home run of the last 6-plus major-league seasons, a 504-foot home run off the scoreboard in center field at Chase Field in Phoenix. Reggie Jacksons light-tower shot in the 1971 ASG (July 13, 1971)Has a pinch-hitter ever hit a ball farther? What is the highest mountain in the world? In 1932, the muscular "Double X" almost equaled Ruth's season record of 60 home runs. Not only did he set distance records in every major league ballpark (including National League stadiums where he played only infrequently), he also set similar standards in hundreds of other fields, where he made exhibition and barnstorming appearances. Why then would anyone care how far they go? In 1921, major league teams averaged 59 home runs. A careful analysis indicates, however, that accounts of 450- to 500-foot home runs in those days are almost certainly apocryphal. Determining the longest homer ever in MLB history is an exercise in myth-busting. It is due to his immense popularity and constant involvement in the tape measure process that he is often thrust into the muddle of misrepresentation. Estimates on this mammoth shot range anywhere from 500 to 535 feet, but the one thing we do know is that it cleared the 20-foot patch of grass and 32-foot-high batters eye behind the 404-foot center-field marker at Great American Ball Park. In his first season wearing the Old English D, Big Daddy hit 51 homers. Where what happened yesterday is being preserved today. When Kingman launched his wind-aided blow in Chicago, The New York Times somehow concluded that it had flown 630 feet. Perhaps the ball had already flown over 400 feet, whereupon it was interrupted in midflight at a height of 70 feet above field level. In returning the discussion to Babe Ruth, it can be said that he defies rational analysis. Clemson (14-1) captured a 4-1 win against Michigan State to improve to 14-0, the third longest winning streak in the program's short infancy, before dropping a hard-fought battle in the second game to No. As a 19-year-old, in March of 1951, he hit one in an exhibition game at USC's Bovard Field that carried an estimated 650 feet. Franmil Reyes, Aug. 14, 2020 (462 feet)Reyes hit four of his nine home runs in 2020 off Tigers pitchers, but this was the memorable one. Like other home runs mentioned on this list, Thome's blast bounced through the streets after leaving the stadium by flying over the center field fence. With each passing year, others will join the long list of true tape measure champions. Other great distance hitters from the sixties were Harmon Killebrew, Dick Stuart, and Boog Powell. I don't live nearby so the ability to have it shipped for $10 was well worth the cost. I saw Jason Rooftop Thompson hit one out of Tiger Stadium over right center field off of Dick Tidrow of the Yankees. It is even easier to consider modern history to help us understand that nothing has changed in the intervening years in our fascination with long home runs. There should be no doubt about the authentication of these conclusions. The vast popularity of major league baseball's home run hitting contest before the annual All-Star Game is ample evidence that we remain enamored of the players blessed with unique levels of power. Martinez last season -- a ball that traveled 466 feet and ended up on top of the camera well in center field. Reggie Jackson, Oakland Athletics outfielder - 539 feet, Tiger Stadium. The thing is I said " no big deal" yet they would let me leave with it they got another one from their very advanced warehouse. Top 10 Tigers homers of the decade. I swear one of the Angels hit one either on or over the roof in 84 or 85. I ended up buy a very nice winter Tiger jacket and as I tried it on and decided on it they noticed a very minor blemish on the back and quickly informed me I had a hard time even seeing it & probably would have never noticed it. A 34-mph wind blew toward the bleachers that day, which is why Mee thinks Killebrews second upper-deck shot may actually have been hit harder. Juan Gonzalez and Ken Griffey, Jr. were the most widely discussed participants at Baltimore's 1993 All-Star celebration, though neither player did anything heroic in the game itself. San Diego Padres Franmil Reyes hit a 479-foot home run on June 5, 2018, against Atlanta Braves pitcher Luke Jackson. Reggie Jackson was the player who hit one over the right field roof while playing for the California Angels during the May 15, 1984 game at Tiger Stadium. From interviews with the surviving source of the original data, it is readily apparent once again that the all had bounced several times before it reached the estimated distance. Many of them even rivaled the Babe's for distance. That's not a little guy right there, and he was always known for great length on home runsbecause he liked hitting them that way and frequently . NHL, MLB, NFL, NBA, NCAA, Olympics. As a kid in May 1967? After Ruth and Foxx, Mantle ranks as high as or higher than anyone else who ever tried to hit a baseball to faroff places. Cecil Fielder takes a gingerly stroll on the roof of Tiger Stadium in 1993. What are your home run memories of Tiger Stadium? I seem to recall Big Frank Howard (Hondo) of the Washington Senators, blast one over the left field roof sometime between 1966 and 68 (I think). That ball that Killebrew hit, Oliva said, it was unbelievable someone could hit the ball that far.. It was not until Babe Ruth came upon the scene that we can find confirmed accounts of batted balls that can favorably compare with any hit during subsequent generations. Home runs in MLB arent as hard to come by as they used to be. Franchy Cordero's 489-foot bomb was the longest home run of the season coming into the night per Statcast. However, fans don't need additional inducements to maintain their fascination with "tape measure" home runs. The same home runs that had once been described as 500 footers were now being scientifically calculated in the 450-foot range. It was the 26th homer of the 2015 season. Before participating in the varsity squad of William Howard Taft Charter High School, he developed his baseball skills in the West Valley Little League. In 1962, he became the first of only four batters to hit a ball over the left-field roof at Tiger Stadium. Honorable mentionsWe could go on all day, of course; dinger lore is wide and vast, and for the ones above we focused on more recent homers with ample video footage. Must have been 1977 or 1978. Dick Allen, too, played in both leagues, thereby providing himself the advantage of leaving his signature on more ballparks than those who only played in one league. This was one of seven home runs hit in this game, which the Dodgers won 10-4. It was estimated at well over 600 feet but later was reported to have hit a house three lots beyond Waveland Avenue, 530 feet from home plate. The longest home run in the seven-year history of Montreal's Olympic Stadium came off the bat of retired Pittsburgh slugger Willie Stargell. "Hall of Fame historian Bill Jenkinson once estimated it as the longest home run ever hit. Extremely satisfied with the wonderful personable service! Acunas homer had an exit velocity of 112.9 mph and was his 14th homer of the season. With the guidance of our scientific brethren, we know that once a batted ball has reached its highest point and lost most of its velocity, it falls in a rapidly declining trajectory. It was hit into the second level of the. Arizona Diamondbacks first-baseman Richie Sexson hit a 503-foot home run to center field on April 26, 2004. Is there a logical explanation for that behavior? According to former Tiger Stadium groundskeeper Frank Feneckit, it took almost a howitzer to send a ball over the left-field grandstand at The Corner. Sadly, the COVID pandemic denied fans the chance to marvel at this drive in person, save for the few fans enjoying dinner atop the Detroit Athletic Club across the street. The ball landed. Ruth's 575-foot blast against the Detroit Tigers in 1921 often comes up. Only one is honored at the Mall of America, where a stadium seat mounted in the malls amusement park marks the spot where his long homer landed in the upper deck. Few people like the response given because, unlike other baseball stats, it is the farthest thing from perfect as illustrated by this superb article called Long Distance Home Runs written by William J. Jenkinson. The next truly great slugger in the chronology of long-distance hitting was Ted Williams, who arrived on the major league scene in 1939. Not for long. In order for the ball to be rising at roof level, it would have to have been traveling at a lower angle than that which produces maximum distance. Glenallen Hill - 500 Feet. His longest drive was probably struck on May 4, 1894, at old Union Park in Baltimore. On July 1, 1990, Kansas City Royals outfielder Bo Jackson hit one of the longest home runs in Kauffman Stadium history against Jack Morris and the Detroit Tigers. A former football player, Gibby was sort of like a tight end without the shoulder pads in the outfield for Detroit. On June 14, 1983, Gibson belted a blast over the right field roof against the Red Sox. Ruths mammoth homer is the only ball to be confirmed to have left Navin Field/Briggs Stadium/Tiger Stadium in center field. Bobby Allison called me from the dugout and said, How can you measure that at 435 feet? The seat later was painted bright orange to stand out in the sea of green seats and remained there until the old Met was torn down after the Twins moved to the Metrodome in 1982. Lynne asked what I was interested in and presented me with a great selection of Tigers caps and T-shirts. This years World Series games at Wrigley Field remind us of Babe Ruths legendary home run there, when he allegedly called his shot in Game 3 of the 1932 Fall Classic in Chicago. However, the reality is that the ball was already on its way down, and those reporting the trajectory were victimized by a common optical illusion. Needless to say that at the very least, you now have an activity to pass your free time. Some people speculate that it might actually have been quite a few feet shorter, but that's still the longest home run hit for years! Ted Williams, June 9, 1946. Anything in the 500-foot range is genuinely historic. Martinez, July 21, 2015 (467 feet)This is the standard by which all Comerica Park homers are measured these days. The list includes Larry Doby, Joe Adcock, Eddie Mathews, Henry Aaron, Willie Mays, and Frank Robinson. Detroit Tigers J.D. That list is topped by the legendary Josh Gibson, and includes George "Mule" Suttles, Norman "Turkey" Stearnes, and John Beckwith. So Kight, who was working as the Twins chief usher on June 3, 1967, instantly knew Harmon Killebrew had hit the sweet spot when Kight looked up from counting the turnstile numbers. A table displaying leaders in Statcast metrics such as Sweet Spot % (SwSp%), Barrels, Exit Velocity (EV), Batted Ball Distance (DST), Projected Home Run Distance (HR-DST), Launch Angle (LA) and Batted Ball Events (BBE) . 12/9 Tennessee. But its doubtful any of them would have won an arm-wrestling contest with Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa or Barry Bonds. Also ranking among the elite during that decade were Greg Luzinski, Dave Kingman, and George Foster. And, as was the case with Mantle, Allen was one of the few men in the entire history of the game who possessed legitimate 500-foot-plus power. Mee, who was the official scorer in the Twins victory Wednesday, said that homer would have hit the second deck in the Dome, a feat no one has accomplished and probably never will. It would have left Tiger Stadium, like Fielders shot, if not for a transformer perched on top of the right-field roof. So with that in mind, here are to date, in game, the longest home runs ever hit in MLB history. And then theres a millennial favorite -- Albert Pujols soul-crushing tater off Astros reliever Brad Lidge -- which looks just as fast as Stanton's record 121 mph laser when you watch it on tape.