summerland isle of man location

Re: Isle of Man Summerland Fire Yes I remember the fire I was 10 years of age and on holiday with my family. We went to a show to see the Black and White Minstrels, that's when I smelt smoke. The Majestic. The building's exterior and the interior were designed by two different architectsthey did not coordinate their planning with each other and thereby created a venue with significant fire risks that were to become apparent only later. There is also a mysterious underground room in the castle where a male ghost has been seen lingering. I remember seeing below us musicians from the group who had been on stage swimming across the learner pool, one of them with his guitar. The fire quickly spread across the sheeting on the leisure centre walls and roof, and through vents which were not properly fireproofed. We were there the night before the fire, we just thatought the "moving staircase" by the front door was the best thing ever. Summerland was a high tech leisure centre that was built in Douglas, on the Isle of Man, and opened in 1971. It does not take away from the fact that it was for a few years, a great place to be. [13] The inscription on the 1998 disaster memorial did not give a death toll; its 2013 replacement lists all 50 names. I had the best holidays ever as a kid in IOM , it is a magical place. Most of week had been spent at the evening disco and I still have photos and the weekly ticket from our good times there. Everthing about that place was magical, everyone had a smile on their face & the atmosphere was exciting. The scale of the fire has been compared to those seen during the Blitz. Condition is excellent. I remember going there as a 6 year old. slide somewhere near where the Hilton Hotel is now I think. Fifty people were killed and 80 seriously injured. This part of the building was clad in a material called Galbestos: profiled steel sheeting with asbestos felt on both sides coated with bitumen,[5][8] with no fire-resistant qualities. What a great place. I remember the main floor in front of the stage with all the deck chairs & the straw umbrellas, the music, the talent shows. 30 Mar 2023 - 05 Apr 2023 +. on the night of the summerland fire,my wife and mother and father inlaw (in there late seventies) plus myself with a wife who was expecting a child,were due to have a drink in the top bar as a fairwell to there holls before returning to liverpool next day, due to a strange event my wife hair rollers broke down so delaying by half an hour our departure.we stoped at the laxey filling station only to be told the complex was on fire!! Ramsey is one of the sunniest parts of the Isle of Man, offering walks, fishing, golf, cycling and swimming. [1] [2] [3] Background Summerland was opened on 25 May 1971. We were in Summerland on the night of the fire, as we had been most evenings. I remember walking past Summerland and seeing a rocking horse from a ride stood on its own. We would spend alot of time up there because of the pool and because they could keep and eye on us and have a drink at the same time. 05 Apr 2023 - 16 Apr 2023. There was a charming wooden see saw, slide and roundabout. VillaGaiety is the Isle of Man's premier ENTERTAINMENT venue. Catherine WoodhouseI was 9 and on holiday with my Mum, brother and Uncle Peter (Mum's brother), the aim of the holiday being to give Mum a break after my Dad had died following a long illness. The year before the fire we were taken to Summerland to watch a syncronised swimming display. This, coupled with the constant sirens of emergency vehicles, is what made this the worst night of my life. One survivor (who was a child at the time) remembered her father noticing smoke coming from the ventilation shaft and had started to attempt to evacuate when the whole area erupted in flames. . 1. The plans took years to finalise. xx. panels dropping in flames onto the ground and I guess, people below. Phase II There are more than 2 filming locations on our site. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. I will never forget her and that night that I nearly died.Sincerely John McGimpsey, Newtownards N Ireland. They went to give bloood and looked for my brother and sister on the way. the old building demolished. The Summerland disaster occurred when a fire spread through the Summerland leisure centre in Douglas on the Isle of Man on the night of 2 August 1973. (The comedian/presenter on stage made a remark about there being "a chip pan on fire"). The Summerland disaster occurred when a fire spread through the Summerland leisure centre in Douglas on the Isle of Man on the night of 2 August 1973. Meanwhile a group of three school boys on holiday from Liverpool was hanging around at the back of the building next to a section of a dismantled fibre-glass kiosk. We never knew if she saved our lives. A Cafe. The water in the pool was lovely and hot and we used to go out and stand in a cold shower and the cold foot bath then dive into the pool to get that even warmer feeling. Game & Entertainment Centers. Humans colonised it by travelling by sea some time before 6500 BC. This was on the 2nd floor. Having met with Mr Gawne MHK to discuss my proposal for a commemorative space prior to his unsuccessful re-election, then continued with Ray Harmer MHK the newly . There were 7 floors in total and the building had a capacity for 5 thousand people. tracyI am a surviver of this tragedy.I still have nightmares. Douglas Corporation, aided by grants from the Isle of Man Government, spent 1.5 million on the building and more cash was provided by The International Trust House Forte group who had taken Summerland LTD on as a subsidiary. Ricky Rooney, DouglasFor me, Summerland was the hub of all my childhood memories, I would be there at least 4 times a week. It was a climate-controlled building covering 3.5 acres (1.4ha) on Douglas's waterfront, consisting of 50,000sqft (4,600m2) of floor area constructed at a cost of 2 million. Dr Ian Phillips' book on the Summerland fire, revised in March 2021, is the most comprehensive account ever written of the disaster. Inside the centre he included plans for an indoor heated swimming pool, saunas, Turkish baths, an artificial sunshine zone, a childrens theatre, an underground disco, cascading waterfalls, restaurants and bars all with live entertainment throughout the day. Aug 27, 2019 - Explore Amanda Smith's board "Summerland IOM" on Pinterest. The island has been visited by various raiders and trading peoples over the years. keith jamiesonI was 7 and on holiday with family,that inluded aunts,uncles and cousins.A lot of us had been holdaying in Douglas that week and we spent a lot of time in Summerland.It was a great place to spend the day.It had all the ammenities ,everything you wanted was there,a funfare ,indoor heated swimming pool,indoor amusement arcade.It had bars,a disco's everything.On the night of the fire, we just finished our evening meal in our hotel and we began walking up Douglas promenade ,going towards Summerland,when we noticed smoke billowing up from behind the building,the next instant the entire building was engulfed in flames.I remember seeing people pouring out of the building,some were on fire,it was horrific.We were standing some distance away and I could not take my eyes off it.The explosions from the burning building boomed across Douglas bay.I had never seen so many injured people before and it is something that I wll never forget.The following morning we all cut our holiday short and returned home,as the ferry was leaving Douglas we all stood on the boat deck ,staring at the burnt out shell of Summerland.Have never been back to IOM since that terrible fire. The complex Instead the first call came from a passing taxi driver, while another came from the captain of a ship 2 miles (3.2km) offshore who radioed HM Coastguard and said, "It looks as if the whole of the Isle of Man is on fire". The first occupants were hunter-gatherers and fishermen. SUMMERLAND, DOUGLAS, ISLE OF MAN. "A good batter, a tasty sauce, and the excellent fried rice with chives.". The site on King Edward Road in Douglas has remained unused since the complex was. On the third attempt, my uncle's door came open and several others followed. We got out past the swimming pool - as a lady carrying some keys ran towards the doors to unlock them. Although I remember when the fire happened (as a relative was working there that evening and thankfully survived), my happy memories are also quite vivid as I used to go there many times, especially during school holidays. [18], Forty years after the tragedy, a permanent memorial in the form of three granite columns was unveiled at Kaye Memorial Gardens, at the bottom of Summer Hill. If you like to see Seven Sisters - view in Seaford, United Kingdom or any other wonderful filming locations from Summerland, start scrolling. Also had a vague recollection that the lads who were smoking near a kiosk which led to the fire, came from Liverpool. [12] The fire brigade's provisional total of 51 deaths at the scene was subsequently revised down to 48, and two others died in hospital, one in Douglas on 11 August and the other in Scotland on 29 September; the latter is excluded from the Isle of Man coroner's list of 49 deaths. The burnt out remains of the centre in September 1973, one month after the fire. The Summerland concept was new and made the Isle of Man complex unique in the British Isles when the building opened in 1971. FREE membership. We found them distraught watching the flames as they thought we were in the building. The worst thing was I could hear screams even from that distance, this has haunted me to this day. Following many goes on the slide (the attendant was very friendly and let me have many free rides!) From Wonderful California, published 1915. Gallery Click to Enlarge. Such a happy reunion but such a terribly sad sad time. on arrival above somerland we couldnt beleve the whole building was an infurno (just where we would have been had we not been delayed)we left the site not beleving such a tragity could be hapening to those poor people,and by the grace of god spared us.with the passing of time and no disrespect to those who loved ones perished or were injured i beleve that summerland was a fabulous venue of the time and should be under another name be reserected for the people of the island and visitors alike,the past is the past and nothing can remain a stain of the building/archetects or goverment who built it in good faith and by unforcene events that happend.the island needs a new complex to invest in tourisem and for the island people to enjoy in these hard days ahead bring life back to the island as it was before the doom and gloom merchants moved in.being a stopover from the late 60s and with three children who were born here i personaly would like to see an indoor complex such as summerland revived. Brings back great memories of times spent on the island. In The Summerland Story written by Robert Kelly he promotes the centre as a holiday town where it never rains, the wind never blows and the temperature never gets chilly. His solution was to design an artificial centre of sunshine and it had to be spectacular enough to compete with the growing threat of cheap foreign holidays. The concept was so radical that architect Geoffrey Ellis came to the Island to work for Mr It was all shining, it even smelt new. I was 17 and with my boyfriend at the time. I was told that the drummer from the show we had been watching did not make it. Behind the stage was the huge rock face. Firemen were already on the scene and ran past us with hoses. Summerlands bed and breakfast (B&B) is a charming and unique house in Ramsey, which has recently been refurbished throughout to a very high standard. We would spend alot of time up there because of the pool and because they could keep and eye on us and have a drink at the same time. Jumping and diving from the boards was also fun with us all playing dead mans fall from the different boards, but I never did manage to dive or even jump from the top board. We came back to the island the year after the fire and we stayed in Oncan. is now owned and operated by the Department of Tourism and Leisure. The death toll brought about a public inquiry that ran from September 1973 to February 1974. I was 5 at the time. I was 9 and on holiday with my Mum, brother and Uncle Peter (Mum's brother), the aim of the holiday being to give Mum a break after my Dad had died following a long illness. STORY. Also had a vague recollection that the lads who were smoking near a kiosk which led to the fire, came from Liverpool. Numerous firms are employing truck drivers in different locations of Canada like Alberta, Ontario, Toronto, Brampton, Mississauga, Quebec, Ottawa, Calgary, and also great deals of extra. We went to the shops on the prom and I still have Minnie the clockwork mouse to this day. Just a stump of a diving board and the deep end of the Aquadrome pool, now home to about twenty billion pigeons The Brutalist concrete exterior concealed a range of sports and leisure facilities, all very wholesome and family-oriented. I was so sad when the tragedy happened and still feel sad when I drive past the now empty site. over 1.7 million (government grant of 600,000). It bears the names of those killed in the fire and is set into a circle of paving, alongside a stone laid earlier to mark the 25th anniversary. The 3.5 acre Summerland resort, claiming to be the biggest and most innovative indoor entertainment centre in the world, was hailed by the British Tourist Authority as An outstanding tourist enterprise. [11], One survivor wrote about her experiences from the fire in a book entitled Made in Summerland, which was published in July 2018.[12]. The street frontage and part of the roof was clad in Oroglas, a transparent acrylic glass sheeting.[5]. I remember seeing balls of fire dropping from the top of the structure this was the so-called inflammable Oraglass (?) The scale of the fire has been compared to those seen during the Blitz. The panic started and we all headed for the fire exit down the steps, only to find the doors were locked. . complex was rebuilt in 1976 and opened again in 1978. There is also significant attic. mike howarthI was at summerland in august 1973,and went to the groovey disco underneath,but it seemed a bit lacking in atmosphere compared to the clubs in Manchester.I was also in Douglas when Summerland set on fire and joined the long queue of people donating blood for the victims. It was a strange building, influenced by the geodesic structure of Buckminster Fuller's American Pavilion at Expo 67 in Montreal. At the time Summerland was one of the most. I was 17 and with my boyfriend at the time. William LeedsI remember going there as a 6 year old. I'll never forget the tragedy and the emptiness we felt after that horrific day. I was 9 at the time of the Summerland fire and on holiday with my Mum and Dad staying at the Granada Hotel as we always did then. construction of a swimming pool, which was completed in 1969. The fire services were not called for over 20 minutes,[5] and even then the call did not originate from Summerland. fire, which triggered a major change in fire regulations on the Island. But I have fond memories of summerland and I to did win the talent competion in summerland. A period semi-detached double fronted town house built circa 1864, set along a quiet cul-de-sac, yet within easy walking distance of the shops and cafes of Parliament Street. The rest is of course history. Fifty people were killed and 80 seriously injured. 7. vox pop older man re. Location. After a couple of hours frozen to the spot I remember seeing my Mum running towards me and picking me up, crying and hugging me as if she hadnt seen me in years or something. It took me a long time to go on holiday again. The fire started at around 7:30p.m. on 2 August 1973 when approximately 3,000 people were inside,[5] and was caused by three boys who were smoking in a small disused kiosk,[6] on the centre's miniature golf course[7] and who told police it was likely started by a carelessly discarded match or stub. [10], Because of the locked fire doors, many people headed to the main entrance, which caused a crush.[9]. It was a tragedy but the happy memories as a child are still vivid even in my late 40's.My thoughts are with those who lost someone dear xx. The Summerland disaster occurred when a fire spread through the Summerland leisure centre in Douglas on the Isle of Man on the night of 2 August 1973. Lots of wildlife viewing!! I had the best holidays ever as a kid in IOM , it is a magical place. The ghost walk at Castle Rushen is said to be one of the best on the island and can be booked here. Custom Mountain home in Tehachapi CA.-2 hrs from LA or 2 hrs from Central Coast. I stood on the prom looking over at the Summerland complex contemplating whether to give it a go or not. The state-of-the-art facilities put the Isle of Man on the map as one of the most important tourist destinations in. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for LIGHTHOUSE DOUGLAS - ISLE OF MAN ( T30 ) at the best online prices at eBay! After a geotechnical team determined that the blocks could not be safely stabilised or removed, and that there was a risk they would fall into the buildings below, the site was scheduled for demolition. I remember winning a talent contest at Summerland when I was 6 years old.We went to the IOM every year for our summer holidays. The latter idea was eventually scrapped when it was discovered some of the birds were poisoning themselves by eating the plastic foliage. We went to a show to see the Black and White Minstrels, that's when I smelt smoke. But I have fond memories of summerland and I to did win the talent competion in summerland. We had a family holiday on the IoM when I was 6. Locations. On the evening of Thursday 2nd August 1973 an estimated 3,000 people were enjoying themselves at the resort. Andy, LiverpoolAs kids we used to holiday in the Isle of Man either at port St Mary or Peel. Summerland was fulfilling its promise of taking Manx tourism into the future. A report commissioned by the Lieutenant Governor in 1973 stated that the blaze was the worst peacetime fire disaster in the British Isles since 1929. last updated: 04/04/2008 at 15:38created: 03/04/2008. A lot of people on the Island will never forget what happened on 2nd August 1973. i remembr 1968-69 , I worked at White City on the Isle of Man , they were the eight best years of my life.